Top News Headlines of 02 September 2013
Breaking news of 02 September 2013. Grab top news headlines and major events for Current Affairs GK from all around the World.
- Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Sunday inaugurated a government medical college – the first to come up here in three decades and announced that eight more were in the pipeline and would be ready in two years’ time.
- Scientists have developed an illuminated ‘smart’ shower head that changes from green to red to tell users when it is time to get out, helping them save water.
- Scientists have developed a new delivery system for a combination of two HIV drugs that may serve as an effective treatment for the deadly virus.
- It was a close call but defending champions South Korea reaffirmed their status as Asia’s best when they defeated India 4-3 in a nerve-wracking final of the ninth Asia Cup hockey tournament.
- Sachin Tendulkar will play his 200th Test match at home against the West Indies later this year. West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has agreed to tour India in November to play at least two Tests and five one-day internationals.
- Top Indian tennis players Leander Paes and Sania Mirza entered the quarterfinals of their respective categories in the US Open at the Flushing Meadows Sunday.
- England beat Australia by 27 runs to win the second Twenty20 international at Chester-le-Street on Saturday and level the two-match series at 1-1. Australia, set 196 for victory, finished on 168 for nine.
- India has managed to retain their third spot among T20 teams while Virat Kohli has held on to his sixth spot in the ICC rankings for Twenty20 batsmen issued here on Sunday.
- India’s fine run in the ISTAF Super Series India Sepaktakraw competition came to an end Sunday when they were defeated 15-13, 8-15, 6-15, 3-15 by Malaysia in the semifinals.
- Gareth Bale is joining nine-time European soccer champion Real Madrid from Tottenham Hotspur on a six-year contract after the teams reached an agreement on the Wales winger’s transfer a day before the trade period ends.
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Ghulam Nabi Azad on Sunday launched several new health initiatives worth Rs.500 crores under the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) for the strengthening of healthcare services in Assam.
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi will shortly travel abroad for a routine medical check-up, a senior party leader said on Sunday.
- Hours after his dramatic midnight arrest from his ashram in Indore, a Rajasthan Police team flew Asaram to Jodhpur where they questioned him in connection with the sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl, to which he pleaded innocence.
- Hundreds of dam-hit from Khandwa, Dewas and Harda and Narbada Bachao Andolan (NBA) activist Chittaroopa Palit were arrested on Sunday when they kicked off their jal satyagrah to raise the issue of affected villagers of the Indira Sagar dam.
- British journalist David Frost, best known for interviewing former US President Richard Nixon, died of a heart attack on Saturday at the age of 74.
- A bill seeking to amend the Right To Information (RTI) Act to shield political parties from providing information under the transparency law is scheduled to come up for discussion in Lok Sabha on Monday.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has appointed Rakesh Sood, India’s former Ambassador to Nepal, Afghanistan and France and the country’s first Ambassador in charge of Disarmament in Geneva, as his new Special Envoy for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation.
- 10-year-old Anjana Padmanabhan win the audiences’ hearts, and thus, the first “Indian Idol Junior” title at the star-studded grand finale of the singing reality show here Sunday.
- At least 15 people were killed in clashes following a mortar attack on an Iranian dissident camp north of the Iraqi capital Baghdad on Sunday.
- Anti-apartheid leader and former South African President Nelson Mandela returned to his Johannesburg home on Sunday where he will continue to receive intensive treatment and care after spending three months in hospital with a lung ailment.
Top News Headlines from recent days/dates: